Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Nuzlocke FireRed 2: Buck's Quest

This is the last one, I swear. If I fail this time I'm going to try a different version of the game so I have something more interesting to play and write about. I'm going back to FireRed because I want to give the game a try with Charmander again. My player character's name is Buck. This time Charmander is a little boy named Zippy. We trounce Gary's Squirtle, deliver Professor Oak's custom Pokeball in exchange for the Pokedex and head to Route 2 and Route 22 to catch Pokemon. On Route 2 I encounter a Level 2 Pidgey right off but Zippy's scratch knocks him out before I can catch him. On Route 22 I encounter a level 4 Rattata that I catch and name Lionel.

I do some serious grinding at this point on Route 2 just outside of Viridian Forest until he is level 10 and I step in. My plan is to level enough to take down Brock with a couple of strikes from metal claw. I get my first stroke of luck and my first turn of ill-fortune inside Viridian Forest. I head to the east, to a small patch below where all of the trainers gather on the path and encounter a Pikachu. Lionel faces off with it and trading tackle for thundershock Lionel goes down. Out goes Zippy and then a Pokeball. Pikachu was caught! This is going to be a much easier run if I can keep this Pikachu whom I name Speedy around. I cannot very well risk Pikachu's life so it is back to the grind. Between the trainers in the forest and the north portion of Route 2 I get them both to Level 16 before I take on Brock. Zippy evolves too.

Even after all the preparation the battle is still tough. Zippy's metal claw does a number on Geodude but Onix is a different story. I start with metal claw and get rock tomb to the face in return. Zippy can only take three Rock Tomb's before he goes down. I switch to Speedy and use the first turn to use a potion on Zippy. Onix uses Bind, a lucky break, and keeps doing so for a few turns so I chip away at his health with quick attacks. Eventually it gets too close and I have to switch back to Zippy. Onix uses bind again and I get in a metal claw relatively unscathed. Another rock tomb and Zippy's speed falls. Everything is a gamble now. Either rock tomb hits first and I die or metal claw and Onix dies. Onix makes the first move but his rock tomb misses! I am incredibly lucky.

So, I earn the boulder badge and head towards Mt. Moon. Route 3's trainers are a breeze thanks to Speedy's thunder shock. On route 3 I get another lucky break and catch a male Nidoran after a quick attack and a thunder wave. I name him Rapido and train him up on Route 3 until he evolves and head into Mt. Moon.

The mountain does not turn out to be much of a challenge. I encounter a Zubat again, catch him, name him Quickwing and hold on to him just in case. Zippy and Rapido take care of just about everyone inside, Team Rocket and all without a visit to the Pokemon Center (a few potions helped though!) Along the way I get my hands on several Moon Stones and the one Rare Candy but hold off on evolving Rapido just yet. I would like it if he learned something a little more potent than Poison Sting first. Soon I find myself in Cerulean City once again. There is an Ekans on Route 4 but Rapido's peck is already too much for it to handle and it goes down immediately. Once again I'll begin next entry with my battle against Gary Oak...

===Adventure Status===
Time: 4:30
Badges: Boulder Badge

In The Graveyard: (1)
Lionel The Level 4 Rattata

Remaining Pokemon: (4) 
Zippy The Level 20 Charmeleon
Speedy The Level 20 Pikachu
Rapido The Level 20 Nidoran Male
Quickwing The Level 7 Zubat

No comments:

Post a Comment